Variable speed compressors are the latest and most advanced technology in air conditioning operation. Homeowners in Lexington are able to see which choice is best for their home cooling system by comparing single-stage, two-stage, and variable speed compressors. They each have pros and cons affecting the system, function, and savings. Before you invest in the cheapest system, look into how the compressor affects your home temperature and energy savings over time.
Disadvantages of Single-Stage Compressors
Single-stage compressors are the most widely known type of compressor used in air conditioning systems. Unfortunately, there are several drawbacks to using this type of compressor in your home cooling system, such as:
- Operates on one speed only
- This speed is full blast or off completely with no in between setting
- The cycles are shorter
- Cycles occur more frequently
- Cheaper but the monthly energy consumed is extremely high
- The least efficient of all compressors
Disadvantages of Two-Stage Compressors
A two-stage compressor is superior to a single-stage compressor and has some positives that are beneficial for homeowners. They are more efficient and have two speeds compared to a single-stage compressor. The two speeds are good for extreme and mild weather and the cycles are further apart. They even remove some moisture while maintaining an adequate temperature in the home. Even though these benefits sound perfect, there are a few catches:
- Two-stage compressors have more parts, requiring more detailed maintenance
- Repairing or replacing a compressor can be very expensive
- With more moving parts, the compressor may be likely to break down more frequently than a single-stage compressor
Benefits of Variable Speed Compressors
This compressor runs on various speeds to accommodate any weather. It is also known as an inverter compressor. It can be more expensive to purchase and install compared to the other compressors but the benefits outweigh the initial cost.
- Less starting and stopping of the system
- Highest efficiency since it only uses what it needs to maintain temperature
- Quieter operation with slower startups
- Controls humidity
- Increased savings over time with monthly energy bill
Climate Control has certified professionals who can help outfit your home with the best cooling system for your budget. Call us today and discover the benefits of investing in a variable speed air conditioner!