Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas which can be produced as a result of incomplete combustion. Exposure can be deadly — exposure causes over 400 deaths each year in the United States. Carbon monoxide detectors are the only way to know if carbon monoxide levels in your home are too high. If you have any gas appliances in your home, you need a carbon monoxide detector.
How does carbon monoxide build up in a home?
Gas furnaces and other appliances create carbon monoxide through the combustion process. These appliances are required to be vented so that carbon monoxide can exit the home safely. Problems with the vent or with appliance components can cause carbon monoxide to leak into the home.
What does a CO detector do?
A carbon monoxide detector monitors household carbon monoxide levels. Some CO in the home is ok, but when levels rise, they pose a danger to your family. Your carbon monoxide detector will alert you when levels reach unsafe highs, so your family can exit the home and seek assistance to uncover the source of the carbon monoxide leak.
Where to install carbon monoxide detectors
Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in any home with fuel-burning appliances. At least one carbon monoxide detector should be installed on each level of the home. To ensure every member of your family is alerted, it’s a good idea to have detectors installed in every bedroom, or within 15 feet of bedrooms. Depending on the model of CO detector, it will need to be installed on either the wall or ceiling.
To avoid false or nuisance alarms, carbon monoxide detectors should not be installed in certain areas. Install CO detectors at least five feet away from any fuel-burning appliance. Do not install carbon monoxide detectors in garages or utility rooms. Avoid installing CO alarms in places where dirt, dust and grease could build up on them, as these substances could cause the CO sensor to malfunction.
Keep your family safe — call Climate Control today for reliable installation of quality carbon monoxide detectors for your Lexington home.