Troubleshooting Your Lexington Furnace or Heat Pump over the HolidaysHeating & Cooling
Whether you’re expecting out of town guests or Santa Claus this holiday season, no one expects to be left without heat! If your furnace or heat pump suddenly stops working, try these troubleshooting tips to restore heat right away.
Problem: Furnace or Heat Pump Doesn’t Turn On
- Inspect your thermostat to make sure it has power (battery or hardwired). Check that it is set to heating mode and the temperature is set higher than the current room temperature, which will tell the heating unit to fire up.
- Check the switches on your heating unit. Make sure they are set to ‘on’.
- Look at your filter – if it’s clogged, your furnace may have overheated and shut down for your safety. Replace it with a clean filter.
Problem: Furnace or Heat Pump Produces Cold Air
- If you have an older furnace with a pilot light, check to see that the pilot is burning. If not, it will need to be relit for the furnace to heat air.
- Check the gas line leading to your gas furnace; make sure the valve has not been shut off.
- For both furnaces and heat pumps, a dirty air filter can restrict heat, leading air coming from the vents to feel colder. Replace the dirty filter with a clean one.
- Make sure your heat pump is not set to cooling mode.
- Switch your heat pump to the backup heat source, if available. If the backup heating source produces warm air, there could be an issue with the exterior heat pump.
- Go outside and remove any debris which could be restricting airflow, such as ice, snow, leaves, and grass.
Climate Control is on-hand around the clock to ensure you have a safe and warm holiday season. Should you find yourself without heat, call us at once. We provide emergency repair service, and will dispatch a technician to help you right away.
Save on your next service
Contact Us Today
Contact Us Today
The Climate Control
on call 24 hours a day,
7 days a week for any
- 10% discount on all service work!
- Priority service
- No overtime charges
- Appointments scheduled at your convenience
- All parts are backed by a 1-year guarantee