Tips to Save on your Cooling Bill this SummerHeating & Cooling
It’s summer in Lexington and you might be wondering how you can save money while keeping your house cool and comfortable. Here are five free, inexpensive ways to make the most of your Lexington air conditioning system.
Use the windows in your home to your advantage. The average low temperature overnight in Lexington in July is 69 degrees. When the air outside is cooler than the air inside your home, turn off your cooling system and open the windows to let the warm air out. This is a great strategy to cool the house while you’re sleeping without using electricity. In the morning, make sure to shut the windows and close the blinds to keep the cool air in.
Lights and Appliances
It might not be obvious, but keeping lights and major heating appliances running can add heat to your home. Instead of making your air conditioner work harder, take steps to reduce the usage of these when it’s warm outside.
- Use daylight to see whenever possible instead of artificial lighting.
- Install energy efficient lighting. Incandescent lights put out 85% to 90% of their electricity through heat. Only the remaining small portion actually results in light. Consider switching to more efficient lights.
- On hot days, avoid using the oven. Cook on the stove, use the microwave, or grill outside for summer fun.
- Turn off electronics when you’re not using them.
- Wash the dishes or laundry only when there is a full load.
Just as you can feel cool air coming into your home in drafty areas in the winter, cool air will leak out of your home the same way in the summer. Revisit those spots in the summer, and add caulk or weather stripping to seal air leaks around windows and doors.
A thermostat is a great way to manage the efficiency of your home cooling system. Here are some tricks to keep in mind:
- Keep your thermostat at the highest temperature you feel comfortable with in the summer. Every degree you’re able to inch it up will save money on your cooling bill.
- When you’re away from the house, set the temperature higher. A programmable thermostat can make this a cinch.
Finally, don’t skip the regular maintenance on your air conditioner. An annual checkup and cleaning will keep it running at peak performance. Call the professionals at Climate Control in Lexington today to schedule yours.
Save on your next service
Contact Us Today
Contact Us Today
The Climate Control
on call 24 hours a day,
7 days a week for any
- 10% discount on all service work!
- Priority service
- No overtime charges
- Appointments scheduled at your convenience
- All parts are backed by a 1-year guarantee