MERV Filter Ratings You Can UnderstandGeneral
There are many acronyms in the HVAC world, commonly used to express efficiency ratings. MERV reflects an air filter’s effectiveness, short for Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value. The higher the MERV rating, the more effective the filter – but not all filters are right for every application. Read on to see the breakdown of MERV categories.
MERV 1 to 4 Filters
This is the lowest point on the filter totem pole. These filters aren’t very effective, only trapping larger contaminants. You may find them in homes or businesses – if they’re in yours, we recommend upgrading, as these don’t do much for air quality, nor do they offer good protection for your HVAC systems.
- Can trap particles over 10 microns in size, such as pollen, large particles of dust, dust mites, pet dander and hair, carpet fibers
MERV 5 to 8
Filters with these ratings are a better option for homes, and more of a minimum standard for commercial applications. They can capture contaminants ranging from 3.0 to 10.0 microns.
- MERV 5-8 filters trap mold spores, hairspray particles, dusting spray particles, and cement dust
MERV 9 to 12
Filters with a rating of 9 to 12 MERV are great choices for residential homes, and well-suited for many businesses. They’ll pull smaller particles from the air supply, efficient in trapping those from 1.0 to 3.0 microns in size.
- These filters can remove legionella, car emissions, humidifier and lead dust, and welding fumes from the air.
MERV 13 to 16
These higher rated filters aren’t appropriate choices for the average home; their use can block airflow through the HVAC systems, causing damage. Use these filters in commercial settings, operating rooms, and hospital rooms to trap contaminants 0.3 to 1.0 microns in size.
- MERV 13 to 16 filters remove bacteria, tobacco smoke, and sneeze particulates.
MERV 17 to 20
These filters are found only in critical environments such as pharmaceutical manufacturing, clean rooms, and where hazardous materials are used. They can trap the tiniest of particles, under 0.3 microns, such as viruses and combustion smoke.
Climate Control will match you with the right filter that will work optimally with your HVAC systems and treat your air quality issues. Contact us today to learn more.
Save on your next service
Contact Us Today
Contact Us Today
The Climate Control
on call 24 hours a day,
7 days a week for any
- 10% discount on all service work!
- Priority service
- No overtime charges
- Appointments scheduled at your convenience
- All parts are backed by a 1-year guarantee