Give Us a call  859-469-4182
mobile subpage banner
mobile subpage banner
Back to Blog

Is Your Lexington Home or Business Safe from Carbon Monoxide?



Natural gas is the most popular way to heat Lexington homes and businesses. It’s fairly cheap, and it produces higher air temperatures through combustion. Heating your home or business with gas is quite safe, though anytime a gas appliance is in use, carbon monoxide exposure is a possibility.

Here’s what you need to know about carbon monoxide, and how to keep your family and others safe:

  • Carbon monoxide is a byproduct produced by incomplete combustion. It is usually vented away from the home via a chimney or flue which is installed with the heating system. When this vent is compromised, or if the heating system is producing excessive carbon monoxide levels, it can back up into the interior of a home or business, exposing occupants to carbon monoxide gas.
  • Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, so it is undetectable by humans. Carbon monoxide detectors are the only way to alert occupants of high carbon monoxide levels.
  • Carbon monoxide exposure is very dangerous, and even deadly. Carbon monoxide poisoning produces flu-like symptoms, headaches, nausea, fainting, dizziness, and loss of consciousness – it can be deadly if not detected.

Help prevent carbon monoxide leaks by:

  • Having your gas heating system tuned up by a NATE-certified heating professional every year. Your technician can pinpoint system problems which could lead to carbon monoxide leaks and repair them for your safety.
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor.

If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak:

  • Get everyone out of the home or business. Do not stop to gather belongings.
  • Leave doors open as you exit, and open windows if possible.
  • Once the home or building is evacuated, call the fire department and inform them of the suspected carbon monoxide leak.
  • If experiencing physical symptoms, you may require medical treatment.
  • Do not reenter the home or business until you have been cleared to do so.
  • Contact your gas company or a gas engineer to locate the source of the leak. Do not use any appliances until they have been repaired.
  • If the gas heating system was the leak source, contact your HVAC professional for system repairs.

Keep everyone inside your home or business safe whenever gas heat is in use by scheduling heating system maintenance with Climate Control. Our NATE-certified heating technicians will inspect your system, identifying malfunctions which could lead to carbon monoxide exposure, and performing the needed repairs to protect your home or business. Call us today to schedule service.

Save on your next service

view all specials
Easy Financing Learn More About Your Financing Options

Contact Us Today

Contact Us Today

map mobile map
Proudly Serving

Central Kentucky

Lexington | Georgetown | Nicholasville
Winchester | Richmond

View More
truck moblie truck

The Climate Control
Care Plan

on call 24 hours a day,
7 days a week for any
emergency service
  • 20% discount on all repairs and accessories!
  • Priority service
  • No overtime charges
  • Appointments scheduled at your convenience
  • All parts are backed by a 1-year guarantee
schedule online