How Efficient Is Geothermal Heating & Cooling?Geothermal, Heating & Cooling
Geothermal heating and cooling systems are becoming a popular option used by Lexington homes and businesses, often chosen for their great efficiency. Below, we’ll take a look at how efficiency is measured and just how efficient geothermal heating and cooling really is.
Measuring geothermal efficiency
Geothermal heating and cooling systems have efficiency ratings based on their coefficient of performance (COP). The COP measures how much energy the heat pump creates compared to how much energy it consumes to create it. If a geothermal heat pump’s COP is 4.5, it means the unit can create 4.5 units of energy for every one unit of energy it consumes.
Geothermal heating and cooling efficiency
Most geothermal heat pumps boast efficiencies of around 400 percent! Approximately 70 percent of the energy consumed by geothermal systems is renewable, coming from the earth. Most furnaces that consume fossil fuels to create heat have efficiency levels from 80 to 90 percent, though models with higher efficiencies are available.
• Highly efficient geothermal heating systems are approximately 75 percent more efficient compared to oil burning furnaces, and approximately 48 percent more efficient than natural gas or propane furnaces.
• Highly efficient geothermal cooling systems are approximately 43 percent more efficient than traditional central air conditioning systems.
More geothermal benefits
• Since geothermal systems do not consume fossil fuels to create heat, they produce a lower number of greenhouse gas emissions compared to gas or oil burning furnaces.
• Since geothermal systems do not produce any carbon monoxide, they offer improved air quality and eliminate the risk of deadly carbon monoxide poisoning associated with conventional heating methods.
Climate Control is a leading installer of Lexington geothermal heating and cooling systems. Our NATE-certified team will be happy to assist you in selecting the right geothermal system for your home or business, and will provide expert installation services.
Save on your next service
Contact Us Today
Contact Us Today
The Climate Control
on call 24 hours a day,
7 days a week for any
- 20% discount on all repairs and accessories!
- Priority service
- No overtime charges
- Appointments scheduled at your convenience
- All parts are backed by a 1-year guarantee