Exposure to mold can cause many side effects, and even lead to the development of severe health issues. Mold growth indoors is something every homeowner should work to prevent – here’s how to spot mold exposure and what you can do to keep it out of your home.

Mold Exposure Causes These Symptoms

Mold’s symptoms may seem like those associated with other illnesses. It can be difficult to connect the symptoms to mold – but if you notice a symptomatic person in your home along with a musty odor, mold’s distinct smell, the two could be connected.

Common mold exposure symptoms include:

  • Congestion
  • Coughing and wheezing
  • Headache
  • Irritations to the skin, eyes, and throat

Household members who have respiratory illnesses or are immune-compromised are likely to be more sensitive to mold growing in the home. Children are also at risk of developing serious health issues due to mold exposure – mold exposure has been linked to children developing asthma, especially when they are already genetically predisposed.

Keep Mold from Growing Indoors

If you smell mold’s musty odor, follow the smell in attempts to pinpoint mold’s location. Sometimes, the odor will develop before mold becomes visible. Once you spot mold in the home, clean it away with a bleach solution.

Prevent mold growth by keeping moisture in the home at a safe and balanced level. Whole-home dehumidifiers remove extra moisture from the air, leaving relative humidity balanced do moisture doesn’t pool indoors.

Mold spores may spread through the home as air circulates. Use your HVAC system to defend against its spread: ultraviolet light air purifiers can be installed within the home’s HVAC system. These lights neutralize passing mold spores, so they cannot reproduce or cause symptoms. Ultraviolet lights also prevent mold from growing within your HVAC system.

Climate Control is committed to keeping your family healthy. Contact us today for indoor air quality systems that work to prevent mold growth and its spread.